Showmax is an online video on demand subscription service.
For a monthly subscription (normally R99 per month), Showmax gives you access to thousands of hours of local and international movies and series. There's something for everyone, from familiar favourites to the best blockbusters.
It's available on multiple devices so you can enjoy the best entertainment at home or on the move. The content is delivered over the internet and is accessible on smartphones, tablets, computers, smart TVs, media players, and the Explora decoder.
Showmax can be streamed while connected to the internet or downloaded onto smartphones and tablets for watching later when offline.
Yes. If you pay your DStv account by debit order, you can add Showmax onto that payment.
Yes. You can get a fourteen-day free trial. When you subscribe to Showmax and provide your payment details, you’ll get fourteen days to try out the service. You may cancel at any time.
If not, you will be billed automatically at the end of the trial period. Payment can be done via credit card, PayPal or through your DStv account for greater convenience and uninterrupted viewing.
When you subscribe to Showmax and provide your payment details, you’ll get fourteen days to try out the service. You may cancel at any time. If not you, will be billed automatically at the end of the trial period.
You can register up to five devices with your Showmax subscription. The DStv Explora counts as one of these devices. You can also watch two different shows on two devices simultaneously off the same Showmax subscription.
Showmax offers full box sets back-to-back, documentaries, kids' shows and movies so in some instances there may be an overlap.
Certain features are not supported on the DStv Explora. These include: Watchlist, Recently Watched, Continuous Play, Resume and Downloads.
- You need internet at home. Showmax requires an internet connection of at least 2Mbps. On the DStv Explora, an uncapped connection with at least 10Mbps is recommended for the best experience.
- You need to connect your DStv Explora to the internet (view more info, including detailed steps).
- You need to subscribe to Showmax (you can sign up at showmax.com/dstv).
- You need to be paying a monthly DStv subscription and Access Fee
No. You can, however, control viewing of Showmax content by using Showmax Blocking in the Parental Control menu. When Showmax Blocking is switched “on”, you’ll need to enter the valid PG PIN each time you select to watch something in Showmax.
To setup Showmax Blocking:
- Press the blue DStv button
- Scroll to Settings
- Select Parental Control
- Select Showmax Blocking
- Enter your PG PIN (if you have not set one up, use the default 1234)
- Switch Showmax Blocking “On”
- Press BACK to save your settings
If you have not yet personalised your PG PIN, please do this via the PG settings option on the Parental Control menu. If your PG PIN is blocked, you can set it back to default by clearing the error on your decoder using Self Service.
The option to download Showmax content for viewing later is not supported on the DStv Explora.
You are able to use Showmax during times of rain fade. However, you are not able to use Showmax if the decoder was started (booted up) without satellite signal.
No. The DStv Explora will remember that you are signed in to Showmax until:
- You sign out of Showmax
- The DStv Explora is reset to factory defaults
- You format the hard drive of the DStv Explora
- You reset the Personal User Preferences
- 365 days has passed since you first signed in
Yes, as long as you meet all the qualifying requirements.
You’ll be notified of a successful change in payment method or you will be advised of a failed addition via the Showmax payment page (when you make the request). If adding Showmax to your DStv account fails, we recommend you contact DStv to check your DStv account status.
Yes, you can still see all your details on the Showmax website
Showmax works differently to DStv Catch Up. When you stream a programme on DStv Catch Up, it is saved to the hard drive of the DStv Explora and is available for you to watch again at a later stage.
When you stream a programme on Showmax, it does not save to the hard drive of the DStv Explora.
Anyone who has connected their DStv Explora to the internet (and switched connected services “on”) is able to browse Showmax content – you’ll see Showmax content when going to the Showmax screen, the “Just Added” screen which is displayed each time the blue DStv button is pressed, and in search results. This does not require a subscription to Showmax. That is only required when you want to watch Showmax content.
We do have specials for selected customers. DStv Premium customers get Showmax free when added to their DStv account. For DStv Compact Plus and Compact customers, Showmax is billed at R49pm (instead of the normal R99pm) when paid via their DStv account.
You will not be able to access Showmax on your DStv Explora if your DStv subscription is not paid – your DStv Explora needs to be active for Showmax to work. However, you will still be able to access Showmax on other platforms such as through your smart TV, tablet or smartphone.
Your next Showmax subscription will be billed at the normal amount of R99 per month.
Your Showmax subscription will be cancelled.
What happens if I stop my Showmax subscription and reactivate it during this promotion period? Do I still qualify for the R69 when I reactivate?
Yes, as long as you meet all the promotion requirements.
Enjoy even more Showmax! You can conveniently add up to 5 Showmax subscriptions to your DStv Account.
DStv Premium subscribers get their 1st Showmax subscription at R0. Additional subscriptions are available at R99 per month.
For customers of all other packages, you can add additional monthly Showmax subscription to your DStv debit order at R99 per month.
You can manage your Showmax Subscriptions on the Showmax website or click the button below to add your Showmax subscription to your DStv Account.
Absolutely! Simply follow the steps required to get these offers.
No. This offer is available to all DStv Premium customers. You just need to sign up to Showmax and add it to your DStv account.
No. This special price is available to all DStv Compact Plus and DStv Compact customers. You just need to sign up to Showmax and add it to your DStv account.
- If you’re a Showmax subscriber already paying Showmax via your DStv account, you don’t need to do anything! We’ll automatically ensure that you’re not charged for Showmax when it comes to your next monthly payment.
- If you’re a Showmax subscriber, but not paying via your DStv account, simply login to your Showmax account and change your payment option to “DStv Add to Account” and follow the steps. We’ll automatically ensure that you are not charged for Showmax when it comes to your next monthly payment.
- If you’re not a Showmax subscriber, sign up to Showmax at showmax.com/dstv and follow the steps. We’ll automatically ensure that you are not charged for Showmax at the end of the 14-day trial period.
As an added convenience, we’ve added a Showmax link on DStv Now, making it even easier and more convenient to access and enjoy all the online content available to you as part of your DStv Premium subscription.
- If you’re a Showmax subscriber already paying Showmax via your DStv account, you don’t need to do anything! We’ll automatically ensure that you’re only charged R49 for Showmax when it comes to your next monthly payment.
- If you’re a Showmax subscriber, but not paying via your DStv account, simply login to your Showmax account and change your payment option to “DStv Add to Account” and follow the steps. We’ll automatically ensure that you are charged R49 for Showmax when it comes to your next monthly payment.
- If you’re not a Showmax subscriber, sign up to Showmax at showmax.com/dstv and follow the steps. We’ll automatically ensure that you are only charged R69 per month for Showmax at the end of the 14-day trial period.
As an added convenience, we’ve added a Showmax link on DStv Now, making it even easier and more convenient to access and enjoy all the online content available to you.
If you move from DStv Premium to Compact Plus or Compact, we’ll add R49 for Showmax to your billing each month.
If you move from DStv Premium/Compact Plus/Compact to DStv Family, Access or EasyView and your DStv account is paid by debit order, you will be billed the prevailing rate for Showmax from your next payment.
If you move from DStv Premium/Compact Plus/Compact to DStv Family, Access or EasyView and your DStv account is not paid by debit order, you will need to select another payment option for Showmax (or change your DStv payment method to debit order).
If you move from DStv Compact Plus/Compact to Premium, your Showmax subscription will be zero rated from your next payment.
Yes, you can still access Showmax on all registered devices (other than your DStv Explora) as long as your Showmax subscription has been paid. Your monthly Showmax subscription will also revert to the prevailing monthly price.
You can add a maximum of five (5) Showmax subscriptions on your DStv account, but only one discounted Showmax subscription per qualifying DStv subscription.
- If you have five active DStv Premium subscriptions on your account, you would qualify for five Showmax subscriptions at zero cost.
- If you have one active DStv Premium subscription and four active DStv Compact subscriptions on your account, you would qualify for one Showmax subscription at zero cost and four Showmax subscriptions at R49pm.
- If you have one active DStv Premium subscription on your account, but want five Showmax subscriptions, one of the Showmax subscriptions would be at zero cost and the other four at full price. Although you are not required to be on debit order when taking the special for DStv Premium customers, you will need to be on debit order to add the additional four Showmax subscriptions.
You can cancel your Showmax subscription at any time, but will have to wait until your next payment date for the cancellation to come into effect.
You will only be required to pay by debit order when:
- Your active DStv package is DStv Family, DStv Access or DStv EasyView.
- Adding more Showmax subscriptions to your account than you have qualifying DStv subscriptions (ie. if you only have one active DStv Premium subscription on your account and want to add a 2nd, 3rd, 4th or 5th Showmax subscription, debit order is required for the additional Showmax subscriptions).
When adding additional Showmax subscriptions to your account, you can do this by logging onto Self Service and selecting ‘Add Showmax to DStv Account’ from the Self Service menu. Then follow the steps to add additional Showmax subscriptions.
We have added live and pre-recorded sport content to Showmax as an extension to the overall product offering.
The type of content is likely to include a range of things such as highlight reels, magazine shows, live local amateur sports, and some major international fixtures.
We have no current plans to offer full bouquets of all sports. Over time we will review our content offering.
Showmax does not intend to charge extra for sport content offered at this stage.