We send the shows and movies to your Explora via our satellite throughout the day – each item gets sent several times to ensure you receive it even if you have bad weather or load shedding or other interruptions. Our download schedules are designed to ensure that all of the content that needs to be on both Catch Up and BoxOffice is played out multiple times a day.
The show sits on your Explora waiting for the first broadcast on live television to happen, after which it is unlocked and ready for you to view.
How long it is available for you to see, depends on the individual rights we have for each show – some shows will be stacked with more than one episode available to you to watch, some will only have one episode.
The DStv Explora has a daily maintenance slot and will download the software when it is next switched on again. The downloading of new software takes approximately 10 minutes.
The DStv Explora automatically looks for new software each day and updates when required.
If you need to manually download software, please follow these steps:
- Press the blue DStv button on your remote
- Scroll to settings
- Select User Preferences
- Select General
- Select Download latest software
If this option is not available for selection, it means that the decoder is already on the latest software.
Yes, the decoder comes with the HDMI cable to connect it to your HD TV and the power cable to connect it to the mains.
No. You need to be a Showmax subscriber to use Showmax on your DStv Explora. Access to Showmax on the DStv Explora also requires a DStv subscription and payment of the monthly Access Fee (R90).
The recommended installation is an 80cm satellite dish with a DStv Smart LNB.
If your decoder is linked to multiple TVs, linked to other decoders in XtraView or you live in a complex where you cannot install your own individual dish, we recommend chatting to your nearest DStv Accredited Installer for info.
No. If an English soundtrack exists, it will be used. If an English soundtrack does not exist, the next available soundtrack will be used.
The display language settings are not applied to the Showmax screens.
The extended catalogue available when you connect your DStv Explora to the internet is updated via the internet, whereas the DStv Catch Up that is delivered to your DStv Explora goes via satellite. This means that content might arrive sooner on the online catalogue than the DStv Catch Up service on your decoder.
Not at all. Showmax has a huge range of content, including shows you won’t find anywhere else.
Certain features are not supported on the DStv Explora. These include: Watchlist, Recently Watched, Continuous Play, Resume and Downloads.
- You need internet at home. Showmax requires an internet connection of at least 2Mbps. On the DStv Explora, an uncapped connection with at least 10Mbps is recommended for the best experience.
- You need to connect your DStv Explora to the internet (view more info, including detailed steps).
- You need to subscribe to Showmax (you can sign up at showmax.com/dstv).
- You need to be paying a monthly DStv subscription and Access Fee
No. You can, however, control viewing of Showmax content by using Showmax Blocking in the Parental Control menu. When Showmax Blocking is switched “on”, you’ll need to enter the valid PG PIN each time you select to watch something in Showmax.
To setup Showmax Blocking:
- Press the blue DStv button
- Scroll to Settings
- Select Parental Control
- Select Showmax Blocking
- Enter your PG PIN (if you have not set one up, use the default 1234)
- Switch Showmax Blocking “On”
- Press BACK to save your settings
If you have not yet personalised your PG PIN, please do this via the PG settings option on the Parental Control menu. If your PG PIN is blocked, you can set it back to default using self service on dstv.com.
The option to download Showmax content for viewing later is not supported on the DStv Explora.
Showmax works differently to DStv Catch Up. When you stream a programme on DStv Catch Up, it is saved to the hard drive of the DStv Explora and is available for you to watch again at a later stage.
When you stream a programme on Showmax, it does not save to the hard drive of the DStv Explora.
The feature to resume is not supported on the DStv Explora.
Yes, your DStv Explora can be added to another one or two decoders in XtraView. Please chat to your local DStv Accredited Installer for more information on available decoder combinations and any changes that may be required to your installation.
Please note, there is a second monthly Access Fee required when linking three decoders in XtraView.
You can only sign in to Showmax on DStv Explora with your Showmax email address and password. If you signed up to Showmax using Facebook or Twitter and you don’t have a password for your Showmax account, you can create one:
- Go to Showmax.com
- If you’re signed in, sign out by selecting Sign Out under your name on the top menu bar
- Go to the sign in page by selecting Sign In on the top menu bar
- Select “Forgot Password?”
- Enter your email address on the “forgot password” page. This is the same email address that you received your welcome email from Showmax on
- An email will then be sent to you with instructions on creating a new password
- Once you have created a password, you can sign in to Showmax on DStv Explora using your Showmax email address and password
This will only happen if the decoder is rebooted.
Anyone who has connected their DStv Explora to the internet (and switched connected services “on”) is able to browse Showmax content – you’ll see Showmax content when going to the Showmax screen, the “Just Added” screen which is displayed each time the blue DStv button is pressed, and in search results. This does not require a subscription to Showmax. That is only required when you want to watch Showmax content.