The premise of I Feel Pretty is something many of us can relate to. Main character Renee Bennett is a plus-size woman with major insecurity. After she falls from her spinning bike at the gym, cracking her head, she wakes up … and everything has changed. Well, in her head it has. Suddenly, she believes she is gorgeous, and she has loads of confidence to take on the world, especially the glam lot around her at the cosmetics company where she works.
Schumer, who has been the lead writer on movies and the TV shows she appears in (like Trainwreck and Inside Amy Schumer, as well as Amy Schumer: Live at the Apollo on Showmax), was, ironically, at first dismissed by the powers that be in the industry as just a beautiful blonde with a foul mouth.
Why Amy’s so awesome
- Apart from being a brilliant stand-up comedian, 38-year old Amy Beth Schumer is also an author and scriptwriter, and an important voice for feminism and equality. Her 2016 memoir, The Girl with the Lower Back Tattoo, was number one on The New York Times’ non-fiction best-seller list.
- Schumer has been named one of Time magazine's 100 most influential people, and she made Barbara Walters' 2015 list of 10 Most Fascinating People. Pretty amazing, right?
- In November 2015, Schumer posed nude for a photo by world-renowned photographer Annie Leibovitz for the 2016 edition of the Pirelli Calendar.
- She was raised Jewish and says she had to deal with antisemitism growing up. She attended South Side High School in New York where was voted both "Teacher's Worst Nightmare" and "Class Clown" in 1999. Which just goes to show that your biggest challenges can become your greatest assets.
- Schumer received a Peabody Award for her sketch comedy series Inside Amy Schumer, and picked up the Critic’s Choice award for best actress in a comedy series. The show was also named Outstanding Variety Sketch Series at the Primetime Emmy Awards in 2015. She’s also been nominated for a Golden Globe, two Grammys, and a Tony Award.
I Feel Pretty, premieres on Sunday 5 May on M-Net (101) at 20:00