There’s every reason to expect that Mark Burnett (and sidekick Mike Darnell) will deliver eye-ball popping entertainment yet again in The World’s Best.
The World’s Best sees host James Corden join forces with judges Drew Barrymore, RuPaul and Faith Hill to find the best talent in the whole world – literally. They’ll be supported by the Wall of the World, a judging pool made up of 50 international judges from 38 regions, who will sit in a pod that will light up if they decide to vote yes.
Since the earliest days of Survivor, British director, producer and current chairman of MGM Worldwide Television Group Mark Burnett has always been ahead of the pack when it comes to reality TV. He’s been nominated for 143 Emmys and has won 12.
Did you know? He was responsible for …
- Well, Survivor of course. It’s been named the number one reality series of all time by Entertainment Weekly. (And the next season of the local version is coming to M-Net in May – read all about it here.)
- The Apprentice. Yes, this is the man who first put Donald Trump into the hearts and minds of the masses – and the rest is history.
- Are You Smarter Than a Fifth Grader? It’s the show that just won’t go away – the last season was broadcast in 2015, but now it’s been revived again this year by Nickelodeon, with John Cena as the host.
- Shark Tank. The Americanised version of the British show Dragon’s Den is now in its 11th season and has won four Emmy Awards.
- The Voice. This much-loved singing talent show has been syndicated around the world, and DStv viewers have been able to watch the American, British and of course, South African versions. Catch up on the local version here.
- Beat Shazam. The 1Magic game show, hosted by Jamie Fox, has just been renewed for a third season.
- TKO: Total Knock Out. Now showing on VUZU, this hilarious game show sees a competitor having to complete an obstacle course to take top honours, while his fellow competitors try to slow him down by firing projectiles.
Actually, the list just goes on from there…. The Restaurant, Rock Star, Sarah Palin’s Alaska (yes, he was responsible for that too…) Starmaker, Wedding Day, Toughest Cowboy … he’s collaborated on just about anything and everything reality in the past 20 years.
Which is why you know The World’s Best will definitely be one to watch.
Starts on Thursday 2 May on M-Net (101) at 18:00